Home Bitcoin Australian fintech firm approved to invest $20M into BTC by ASIC

Australian fintech firm approved to invest $20M into BTC by ASIC

Raiz, an Australian fintech firm best known for its round-up offering, has gotten the approval of the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), to add Bitcoin fund to its list of investment services.

The fintech firm which intends to launch its Bitcoin retail fund in the first half of this year has said it would invest 95 percent of clients’ money in exchange-traded funds (ETFs), while the remaining 5 percent will be pumped into bitcoin (BTC).

With the approval to add a Bitcoin fund to its list of investment services, Raiz will expose thousands of Australian investors to the world’s flagship cryptocurrency.

Reportedly, as of December, Raiz had $445 million in funds under management from 211,000 paying customers. Likewise, the company boasts of 300,000 customers with accounts open on the service.

Although Raiz is yet to release its product disclosure statement several months after its scheduled launch date, it will, however, be the first Australian investment platform to launch a Bitcoin Fund being Australia’s first retail investment fund for cryptos.

The Australian Securities and Investment Commission has overtime viewed crypto with suspicion.

The corporate regulator reportedly in 2019 ramped up scrutiny of initial coin offerings and trading of crypto assets, declaring some of the activity to be in breach of corporate laws.

Earlier in 2017, the Australian government began taxing cryptos by giving it a legal status and made it clear that all blockchain-based digital assets are properties and as such, are subject to Capital Gains Tax (CGT).

The commission also warned brokers and issuers it is increasing scrutiny on suspicious equities trading, after an investigation found potential insider trading ahead of mergers and acquisitions, especially in the materials sector.

Cathie Armour, ASIC commissioner also said at a Refinitiv regulatory conference in Sydney that the regulator has seen some offers for crypto-assets “that appear to involve misleading or deceptive conduct, or that are promoted in a way that does not comply with the regulatory framework.

All these indicate that the Australian government is yet to settle well with cryptocurrency and its emerging revolution.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Must Read

Amazon backed platform to offer Bitcoin trading services in Africa

Chipper Cash co-founder and CEO Ham Serunjogi has celebrated the conclusion of a financing round that has provided his company with $30 million. In...

Bitgo Plans to Launch Wrapped Bitcoin on the Tron Blockchain

Members of the crypto ecosystem will soon be able to leverage WBTC via the Tron (TRX) network. Just like the tokenized BTC created using Ethereum’s ERC20...

Ethereum’s Long Term Chart Is Extremely Simple To Read

The weekly Ethereum chart, as opposed to the daily chart, is simple and concise. There are 2 simple...

US Department of Transportation Says Blockchain Has Many Applications For Unmanned Aircraft Systems (Drones)

Blockchain technology could assist with adjusting and improving current technical challenges in the expanding business of commercial drone delivery, said the US...

Security tokens, blockchain settlement draw interest from institutions: MIT Bitcoin Expo panel

Amid growing competition between providers, institutions in the traditional finance space are looking at blockchain as another way to offer value to...